Life is what we make it... always has been... always will be.



Thursday, April 28, 2011

Got Crabs?

The title might not make sense to you now, but hold your horses.

Yesterday was Administrative Professional's Day in case anyone didn't get the memo.  Every year my boss takes me and our receptionist out for a nice lunch to somewhere new that we haven't been.  This year we went to Avenues Bistro.  The new branch in Leawood at Mission Farms.  I guess there's one in Brookside, but I've never been.  I've had a little bone to pick with Avenues b/c they came in and replaced my beloved Zest.  However, after seeing their menu, I totally forgive them.  It is an AMAZING menu.  I told Tony that I need to go back at least 6 more times to try other things. 

I had kind of a hard time deciding what I should get, but a crabcake sandwich was listed and it made up my mind for me.  I would hand over my first born child for a good crabcake.  Well, probably not, but I like them a lot.  There was also a Crab & Avacado BLT that caught my eye.  Let me tell you something, that crab cake sandwich was heaven.  It was huge, but I probably could have eaten 2.  I also ordered a side salad with creamy balsamic vinegerette.  Glorious.  The Crab, Shrimp, Lobster salad with avacado and the BBQ Salmon Salad also got rave reviews.  I will defienitly be coming back to this place.  Give it a try!

Now for the second part of this post.  Last night I made crab cakes for dinner.  Yes, I already had it planned when I ordered one for lunch.  I just made the executive decision that I would eat the same thing for lunch and dinner.  Normal, right?  The thought did cross my mind that my crab cakes would probably not compare to the one I ate at lunch, but actually they turned out really good too! 

Soooo, here's the recipe.  Easy peasy!

2 cans of crab
1/2 - 3/4 cup of panko bread crumbs
1 egg - beaten
1/3 c. fresh parsley
2 Tbsp. garlic mayo (I've used regular before)
1/2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. stone ground mustard (optional)
S&P

Mix all together and make 4 small patties or 2 large patties.  Sprinkle onion powder and cayenne pepper on the top if you can handle the heat.  Refigerate for a little bit so the patties stick together.  Broil for 7-8 minutes per side until browned and firm.  Larger patties may take longer.
Serve plain or on a bun with lettuce, red onion, avacado and tarter sauce.  With a lemon for squeezing.


Snarf

2 comments:

  1. I heart crabcakes!! I seriously could put them on anything. Need to make a crabcake BLT stat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love crab cakes too! YUM! You know what you should try if you go back to Avenues?? Their guacamole has crab on it too - it's wonderful!!

    PS I'm also glad to know that you let your dog sleep in your bed - we are suckers and can't man up and put them in the kennel at night because I love snuggling :)

    ReplyDelete