Life is what we make it... always has been... always will be.



Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Chipolte Chicken Salad

I sort of forgot about this recipe.  I'm not sure how, since Tony requests it every other week, but I finally made it last night. 

It reminds me of the chicken tortilla salad at Applebees that I used to order.  Speaking of, I haven't been to Applebees in like 5 years.  It was one of the only 'nice' restaurants in Great Bend.  Yes, Great Bend has an Applebees.  I think I got burnt out and after moving to the big city, there's just so many other options.  And speaking of Big City, I received this picture message from Meghan in Bartlesville, Oklahoma this morning...



Back to the point of this post.  Please make this salad soon.  It's super easy and super good.  You can omit the chicken and it's still super good.  I gave all my chicken to Tony.  He loves me. 

And please serve it in a tortilla bowl.  It's like heaven.  I couldn't find tortilla bowls at Price Chopper last night (actually I couldn't find anything at Price Chopper last night - confirmed my love for HyVee), so we just ate it with tortilla chips, but it wasn't quite the same.

Tip: I normally find the tortilla bowls in the refrigerated section, by the parm cheese, summer sausage, and classen pickles.  The brand is Azteca and they're in a cardboard box- you just bake them on the provided cutouts and they form to shape.

Ingredients

Dressing:
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2/3 cup light sour cream
1 tablespoon minced chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce (I never know what this is, so I just use chopped green chilies found in the mexican isle, but Emily says the adobo sauce is fab in this!)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt

Salad:
4 cups shredded romaine lettuce - I threw in a whole bag
2 cups chopped or grilled boneless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup diced peeled avocado - I always add more avacado to anything
1/3 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (8 3/4-ounce) can no-salt-added whole-kernel corn, rinsed and drained

Preparation
To prepare dressing, combine first 7 ingredients, stirring well.
To prepare salad, combine lettuce and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.

Tip: Add a spoonful of adobo sauce for a spicier salad.  Kidney or pinto beans also taste great in this dish.





Post to come on Gina's wedding.  I've got to combine the pictures!

3 comments:

  1. Nice picture! I can tell that you are using your new camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks fantastic! I finally found the peppers in adobo sauce and they are awesome... go find them!

    I had to think for a minute how you slice an onion vertically. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This look so good!! Thanks for sharing.

    PS I love HyVee over Price Chopper any day of the week :)

    ReplyDelete