Recently while reading my college friend's blog about 101 things she wants to accomplish in 1001 days, I came across something I would like to try. Yes, out of the 101 things I want to do one of them. I think that is reasonable :)
She wants to eat vegan and vegetarian for a month each. I heart cheese so there's no way I can do Vegan, but I am going to eat Vegetarian for one month. I'm picking February since it's a short month, duh. I'm not doing this to be healthy or drop a few pounds, I'm doing it b/c it interests me. It's gives me something to focus on. Most people would start working out or something. I decided to take it a different direction. I think it will be fun. I've said many times that I could totally be a vegetarian. I don't eat that much meat as it is, but I do love turkey sandwiches....and BBQ. However, my fav sandwiches are the veggie ones from Quiznos and Subway, so I'll be fine there. I'm also pretty obsessed with the tomato & mozz panini at Panera.
I've ran this by Tony and he thinks it sounds fun (for me), I assured him that I will feed him meat occasionally, just so he doesn't jump off of our deck. Then I asked him 'can vegetarians eat fish?' He said 'depends on what kind of vegetarian you are...' Which I don't think is correct. Can vegetarian's eat fish?? If so, great! If not, then I'll suck it up and make it work. I like veggie burgers and tofu. Another question, how in the hell do you cook tofu??
Any suggestions are helpful! Chipolte has a veggie bowl right?? :)
I was vegetarian for most of last year... now I have phased meat in a little, but only if it is organic meat.
ReplyDeleteI would say, eat fish. I did and I am glad I did. Unless you are getting enough protein from other areas, your body really needs enough protein to get you through the day. Vegetarians that lose a lot of weight, typically (not always) aren't getting enough protein, which is why they are losing weight (so basically it is not a healthy way to lose). Anyways, it is really fun and I have some great receipes I can send you! Good luck :) Watch the move FoodInc. if you want some serious motivation!
Thanks Emily! If you have any recipes, will you email them to me? Callie.line@hotmail.com
ReplyDeleteThanks! :)
Hi! Random reader here! Saw your blog listing on Meet the Gibson’s.
ReplyDeleteI applaud you on trying to go meat free for a month! As far as tofu, think of it as a blank canvas. There are numerous ways to prepare tofu: grill, sauté, fry, etc. And you can add any kind of flavors to it. Try using miso (soy protein) as a glaze on top of the tofu for more flavor.
Here are a couple of recipes to try for tofu:
Ellie Krieger - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/fried-rice-with-scallions-edamame-and-tofu-recipe/index.html
Giada - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/everyday-italian/grilled-tofu-with-asiago-and-walnut-pesto-recipe/index.html
Also portabella mushrooms will become your best friend. You can make sloppy joes with them (Rachel Ray has a good recipe) or top them with cheese and marina sauce and bake them in the oven. There are so many options out there for meat free diets…. Good Luck!
Yum! Thanks Lauren! Can't wait to check those out!! I also love portabella's, however my hubs doesn't. HOpefully I can make him a fan :)
ReplyDeleteChipolte does have a vegi bowl made with guac. Get it with black beans though because the pinto beans are cooked with pork!
ReplyDeleteBest part of being a vegetarian is the free guac on your Chipotle! And you can eat fish, but then I think technically you are a "pescatarian".
ReplyDeleteFor protein I eat lots of beans, greek yogurt, eggs, and cheese. Yea cheese!