I tried out a new recipe last night that I need to share. I adapted it from Better Homes and Gardens. I adapted it because I thought I had everything I needed...and then I didn't. But I did get to use my cilantro monstrosity that is growing on my deck. Don't let the cilantro freak you out... I don't normally love cilantro, but it made this dish!
It was so light and fresh and I will be making this again in the near future. The red pepper flakes give it an awesome kick! Here's the grediants:
8-10 oz. dry linguine or fettuccine (I used fettuccine)
Small zucchini- sliced
Small bunch of asparagus - chopped to about 1 inch pieces
1/4-1/2 lb. cooked shrimp (optional)
1/3 of a lemon
1/2 c. olive oil
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. minced or dried garlic - I threw in a little more
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
Cook pasta according to the directions on the box, add the zucch and asparagus in the last 5 minutes. Add shrimp (if using) in the last minute. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup pasta water.
For pesto, cut the 1/3-1/2 of lemon into small pieces (I kept some of the peel on). In a processor, combine lemon, olive oil, cilantro, pasta water, salt, mustard, garlic, and red pepper. I added some pepper too.
Toss all together and top with more cilantro if you'd like! Serves about 4.
The original recipe called for carrots and an orange instead of asparagus and a lemon, but that's all I had on hand. It also didn't use shrimp, but I had some I needed to use.
It only took about 25 minutes to throw it all together. Enjoy!

Looks AMAZING! Will have to try this one soon :)
ReplyDelete