Life is what we make it... always has been... always will be.



Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Veg Cooking

I made black bean and pineapple enchiladas last night for din.  They were pretty wonderful!  Tony liked them too, which is good because we have a lot left over.  We both loved the fact that they were tasty, healthy, and not too filling like regular enchiladas.  I believe Tony made the comment 'I don't feel like a bloated fat man'. 

Here's how you make 'em:

Saute 1 cup chopped onion, and one chopped red pepper in EVOO until tender.  Add rinsed/drained can of black beans, drained can of pineapple, can of green chilis, and some salt and peppa. 

Then throw in some cheese and cilantro (I didn't use cilantro)

Spread a spoonful of enchilada sauce on a tort.

Do you like my winter plate?  Actually I think it's Emily's.
 Top with the veggie mixture. 
My camera takes awesome pictures.
 Roll 'em up and put into dish.  Like I said, it makes a lot.

 Combine the rest of the enchilada sauce with 1/3 cup of reserved pineapple juice from the can and drizzle on top...

And try not to do this...


Top with cheese and Bake at 350 for 30 minutes covered in foil.  Remove foil and bake another 5-10 minutes.

See how many it made?  We are going to be eating these for days...
Tony's a lucky guy.

Yum
 Then top with sour cream and eat up!  I also sprinkled the green tabasco sauce from Chipolte on mine.  I highly recommend that! 
Disclaimer: It was not the exact bottle from Chipolte. I'm no longer in College and can afford to actually buy a bottle of it now.  Did anyone else used to steal those???  No? Just me?? 


Here's the full recipe:
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell peppa
1 (20 oz.) can pineapple tidbits, drained
1/3 cup pineapple juice, reserved
1 (15 oz.) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (4.5 oz.) can of chopped green chilies
S & P to taste
1/2 cup fresh cilantro -I didn't use but it probably adds more flavor
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (12 oz) - I used chedder and mozz b/c that's all I had
1 (10 oz.) can mild enchilada sauce - Next time I would probably kick it up a notch and go with hot.
8 whole wheat flour tortillas

Topping: Sour Cream, and Green Tabasco (not stolen from Chipolte)

Heat oven to 350, spray 13x9 glass dish with cooking spray. 
Heat oil in skillet and saute onion and red pepper.  Add pineapple, beans, green chiles and S&P.  Cook until heated. Remove from heat and add cilantro and 2 cups cheese.
Spoon enchilada sauce onto eact tort.  Followed by veggies, then roll.
In a small bowl combine remaining enchilada sauce and the 1/3 c. reserved pineapple juice together.  Pour over all enchiladas, being careful not to spill all over your counter top like muah.
Top with cheese.  Bake 30 minutes covered and then 5-10 minutes uncovered.

Eat your heart out. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of all this cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So random...we made enchiladas last night too!

    P.S. Are you a cilantro lover or hater?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, I usually like cilantro... I just never really have it on hand so usually I leave it out of things :)
    In these enchiladas though I think it would be great!!

    ReplyDelete