Life is what we make it... always has been... always will be.



Thursday, February 17, 2011

Like a Straight Line??

I would like to draw your attention to my friend Krista's blog and her post yesterday about names. 

Hilarious!  Names are so funny and especially when you marry into one that you have no control over.  Well, I guess if you marry a pansy he could take your last name, or you could always be that person and hyphenate... but I won't go into how I feel about that right now.  Maybe another day, if you're lucky.

My maiden last name was Wilson, so that seemed to be easy for people to figure out.  However, my first name has always been an issue.  I should have changed it to 'Kelly' years ago.  On the off chance that someone would get it right, they would always spell it with a K. 

Fast forward to me meeting the man of my dreams in college.  Then we got married and I became Callie Line.  Lots of L's going on there, but wait... Let's toss in my middle name too shall we?  Lynn. 

Callie Lynn Line. 

Holy L's!  Try saying that 3 times fast.  Doesn't exactly roll off of the tongue. BUT, I thought it was easy enough.  Short, easy to spell, no problems.  Right? Wrong.  I find myself saying my last name and then s.p.e.l.l.i.n.g it out every single time.  People seem to think Line is Lion/Lyon/Lennee/Wine (which would be fitting).  The comment most people make after I spell it out is 'Like a straight line???'  To which my reply is always 'Yes, like a straight line...' usually with an overly annoyed look on my face.  Who would think something so easy could be so hard?!

So for the last 3.5 years I've been spelling and repeating my first and last name.  Pity party over here.  I guess it could be worse and my last name could be hard to say, include a slient H, and 16 letters long, but I like to feel sorry for myself.

Peace, Love, & Lines,

Kelly Lion

6 comments:

  1. Love it Kelly! I can't remember where we were, but I remember you telling someone your last name and you said exactly that, "Line. Like a straight line." LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh....seriously.....like Krusich didn't screw me forever!!! Going from Summers to Krusich....crap! We proceed to get people that say "Kursh" and just combine the letters to make a word. We also get "Krusitch" and "Krusick". People have just stopped trying to say it right. The worst part is that so many people don't know how to say or spell Ian. Really people??? I can't tell you how many people say "I-N". Like Ian Ziering from 90210. Pretty sure he's the only turd that pronounces "Ian" like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol Jess! I used to not know how to say Krusich and would just mumbled something close to it :)

    I'm glad I have it figured out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I hear sweet caroline I think of you and brings a smile to my face :-)
    Just a little funny fyi... AJ's mom's maiden name is Todd, yes Todd, and so is her married name. Not only has she gotten so much grief for this in her married life; AJ also has a hard time. Getting a loan at the bank for example... "Anthony, what is your mom's maiden name?" "Todd" "No, her MAIDEN name, her last name before she married your father." Like he is an idiot and doesn't know the what the word maiden means! I was laughing during this convo b/n him and the loan officer too which added to aj's frustration! oops! just too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA! I'm loving all the discussions about names! I may just have to add my own :)

    ReplyDelete